Inspection and Remediation for Façades
Our Façade and Fire Engineering Services
- Advice to building owners on options for refurbishing or replacing existing building envelopes.
- Advice related to the condition of historic facades to be retained/repaired and technical support in the liaison with Historic England or local
Conservation Officers including structural investigations.
- Peer review assessment of third party designs.
- Façade and Fire Safety Reviews inline with the RIBA phases 0–7.
- Technical support with regards Gateways 1, 2 & 3 Submissions for Façade and Fire Engineering.
- FRAEW in line with PAS 9980 and supporting EWS1 Form submittal as
- Technical Due Diligence including pre-purchase and end of lease surveys.
- Condition surveys as part of an estate’s planned schedule of inspections.
- Pre-contract work, integrated into the design team and supporting the
facade repair/refurbishment design/specification.
- Pre-contract work, reviewing employer’s design intent documentation.
- Post-contract work, reviewing contractors’ technical submittals,
witnessing testing, monitoring fabrication and inspecting works on site.
- Assistance to main contractors in reviewing progress and workmanship of facade sub-contractors.
- Technical Expert advice and Latent Defect or Defective Premises support in any cladding related legal disputes.
PI Insurance to £10million
At GTS we inspect Cladding and Façades to make sure that it is installed and maintained correctly, and that it falls in line with Approved Document B, and Manufacturers Guidelines, producing detailed reports and issuing a FRAEW in-line with PAS 9980, highlighting any shortcomings and outlining any remedial works that must be carried out to ensure compliance. Global Technical Services specialist cover regards:
- Fire Engineering
- EWS1 Forms
- PAS9980 FRAEW
- External Wall Assessments
- Fire Scrutineer
- Fire Strategy
- Retrospective Fire Strategy 3rd Party Insurance Accredited
Detailed Fire Risk Appraisal of External Walls reports are produced by Façade Technical Consultants and reviewed by Senior Fire Engineers.
Case Study – Gateshead Council
Global HSE supported with verifying a Risk Rating for each site in line with PAS 9980 guidance. Global commented on the combustibility of the materials, whilst also validating the recommended remediations where necessary. The FRAEW’s that Global have supported with are not intended to be used as a means to audit design or construction of buildings against any applicable regulations or guidance, nor to support litigation in relation to compliance with Building Regulations.
Since 2020 conbustible materials are no longer allowed
The service is vital to identify potential fire hazards, vulnerable points of ignition, and compromised fire-resistant
materials within the façade. Regular inspections involve a meticulous review of cladding, insulation, and fire barriers to ensure they meet stringent safety standards.
Should any deficiencies be found, a comprehensive remediation strategy is developed. This could entail replacing flammable materials with fire-resistant alternatives, reinforcing fire barriers, and improving the overall fire containment properties of the façade. Prioritising these inspections and necessary remediation not only mitigates fire risks, but also contributes to safeguarding occupants, protecting property, and upholding the overall fire resilience of structures.
Damian has over 5 years’ experience in Façade Design and Roofing after graduating from Liverpool John Moore University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Building Surveying. Damian has assisted senior project managers in large remediation developments across Greater Manchester and London.
Bruce worked for Tyne & Wear Fire and Rescue Service for almost 20 years. Progressing from Fire Fighter, to Fire Engineer, he headed up the commercial arm of the Fire Service in Newcastle
Fire safety is our whole business
Our expert team can provide a breadth of fire engineering knowledge to any project, spanning the built environment and housing sectors.
Offering bespoke fire engineered solutions that cover all aspects of fire safety, ranging from non-standard construction details to buildings that step away from traditional guidance.